>Dear colleagues,
>
>our University Librarian has asked me for suggestions regarding purchases he
>might make in the area of electronic resources for Italian studies. In my
>ignorance, I turn to you; are there, for example, Italian newspapers on
CD-ROM?
>Any serial bibliographies? Encyclopedias? Any and all suggestions are
welcome!

>George

Dear George,

Some suggestions, with three minor exceptions all taken from the list of
Bettina Wagner, _CD-ROMS fu"r Media"visten_, in: _Das Mittelalter.
Perspektiven mediaevistischer Forschung, Zeitschrift des
Media"vistenverbandes_, Band 2, 1997, Heft 2, p.132-143:

Bibliographies of printed books:
--------------------------------
BNI. Bibliografia Nazionale Italiana su CD-ROM. A cura della Biblioteca
Nazionale Centrale di Firenze, Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico
delle Biblioteche Italiane e per le Informazioni Bibliografiche, Firenze:
I.E.E.B. & Chadwick-Healey, 1997
[actually more than 450.000 entries, since 1958, upgraded quarterly; see
also the online catalogue at http://sirio.cineca.it/sbn/]

Alice CD. Tutti i libri italiani in commercio su compact disc. A cura di
Informazione Editoriali, Milano: I.E. & Editrice Bibliografica, 1996-
[1996: 260.000 entries, more than 30.000 additions to be expected for 1997;
see also http://www.alice.it]

Index of Manuscripts:
---------------------
Iter Italicum. Accedunt alia itinera. On CD-ROM. A Database of Uncatalogued
or Incompletely Catalogued Manuscripts of the Renaissance in Italian and
Other Libraries, compiled by Paul Oskar Kristeller, Leiden: Brill, 1995
[Reproduces the manuscript data of the printed edition from 1963-92, but
with the possiblity of full text search. Also the user can add his own
notes and continually upgrade the database]

Encyclopedia:
-------------
Jim Marchand in one of his MedTextL postings mentioned the Enciclopedia
Elettronica Bompiani, from Gruppo Editorial Fabbri (Via Mercenate 91,
Milan, I-20132, Italy)

Dictionaries:
-------------
Lo scaffale elettronico: dizionari. Bologna: Zanichelli, 1989
[Contains several dictionaries and manuals: _Il nuovo Zingarelli_, 11a ed.
1988; G. Pitta\no, _Sinonimi e contrari_, 1987; R. Lesina, _Manuale di
stile_, 1988; G. Ragazzini & A. Biagi, _Il nuovo Raggazini / Biagi concise
dizionario inglese e italiano_, 2a ed. 1986; V. Browne, _Odd pairs and
false friends: Dizionario di false analogie e ambigue affinita\ fra inglese
e italiano_, 1987; R. Boch, _Il Boch minore: Dizionario francese-italiano &
italiano-francese_, 1989; id., _Les faux amis aux aguets: Dizionario di
false analogie e amigue affinita\ tra francese e italiano_, 1989]

Giacomo Devoto & Gian Carlo Oli, Il dizionario della lingua italiana per
Windows 3.1, Firenze: Le Monnier, 1994
[monolingual dictionary, 14.000 entries]

Text databases:
--------------------
LIZ. Letteratura Italiana Zanichelli. CD-ROM dei testi della letteratura
italiana, a cura di Pasquale Stoppi (et al.), Bologna: Zanichelli, 2a ed. 1995
[Contains 362 literary texts from the Duecento to 1923]

Francesco Bonomi, Duecento: Italian poetry from the origins to Dante (on
diskettes, see http://www.silab.it/frox/200/pwhomita.htm]

Cesare Ripa, Iconologia. Edited and annotated by Tama/s Sajo/, announced
for December 1997, but I have not yet verified the publication
[According to the announcement, the first CD contains the full text of
eight Italian editions, together with the illustrations, a comparison of
the Italian editions with notes on text variants, annotations indicating
the sources, a Hungarian translation, the full text of two English
translations, an iconographic index, and the full text of nine of the
Italian and Latin sources, including Dante's Commedia with the glosses of
Landino and Vellutello, Venezia 1548; a second CD is sheduled for 1998; see
the website at http://vega.ceu.hu:80/medstud/or/ripa.htm]

I myself fortunately don't even own a CD-Rom drive, so that I am not really
tempted to buy any of these electronic goodies (if goodies they are).

Yours,

  Otfried

Otfried Lieberknecht, Schoeneberger Str. 11, D-12163 Berlin
Tel.: ++49 30 8516675 (fax on request), E-mail: [log in to unmask]
  Homepage for Dante Studies:
http://members.aol.com/lieberk/welcome.html
  Listowner Italian-Studies:
http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies/