Brian
At the time I got your message I was only basing my reaction on the quick
test which someone did with Word and Internet Assistant during a plenary
session at DC4 in Canberra, but prompted by your message I did a quick test
with my editor: Microsoft FrontPage(TM) Editor version 2.0.2.1112 (Provided
as part of FrontPage Explorer 97)

The results, which surprised me was that FrontPage lost the scheme and
language tags when these were not put in the bracket syntax.  Specifically:

Before FrontPage
===========
<META NAME=DC.subject CONTENT="(SCHEME=XYZa)(LANGUAGE=ena)blaha">
<META NAME=DC.subject SCHEME=XYZb LANGUAGE=enb CONTENT="blahb">
<META NAME=DC.description SCHEME=XYZc LANGUAGE=enc CONTENT="blahc">
===========
After FrontPage
===========
content="(SCHEME=XYZa)(LANGUAGE=ena)blaha">
===========

This occured whether or not I used FrontPage's somewhat cumbersome method
for editing meta tags:
File/Page Properties/Custom/Modify, it was a result of opening and saving
the file in FP, not of editing the meta tags.

It is also interesting to note that the term metadata does not appear in
the FrontPage help and that the help on the meta tag is not very helpful.

It seems that we need some fairly wide ranging testing of editors before we
can generally recommend the new HTML 4.0 syntax, and we would need to be
able to give people pretty comprehensive advice on when and when not to use
it.

Regards
Jack Gilding
=============

At 04:37 PM 13/1/98 +0000, Brian Kelly wrote:
>I think it would be useful to have a list of editors which can corrupt
>embedded metadata in HTML pages.  I know that Microsoft's Internet
>Assistant for Word can do this.  Are you saying you are aware of other
>tools which do this?
>
>Thanks
>
>Brian Kelly

>Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
>UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
>Email:  [log in to unmask]     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
>Homepage: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/b.kelly.html
>Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838

Jack Gilding                           [log in to unmask]
Project Manager, EdNA VET Project   http://www.edna.edu.au/vetwp/
Communications & Multimedia Unit              phone: 03 9637 2654
OTFE, PO Box 266D Melbourne VIC 3001            fax: 03 9637 3160

NET*Working 97 - ANTA online and physical conference
reports now available at: http://www.nw97.edu.au/