> Date sent:      Wed, 31 Dec 1997 14:00:38 -0500 (EST)
> Subject:        A Franciscan inscription?
> From:           Claire Labrecque <[log in to unmask]>
> To:             [log in to unmask]
> Send reply to:  [log in to unmask]

> Since I have been frustratingly out of internet contact for several months,
> and thus sadly out of contact with Medieval Religion, I am taking the
> opportunity of using Claire's computer to ask a question which I have for
> some time wanted to pose to the members of this wonderful list.  It involves
> an inscription which used to be found in the stained glass of Chartres
> Cathedral.  In the central lancet under the north rose, there is an image of
> St Anne and the infant Virgin.  The present inscription is modern, but
> antiquarian descriptions give it formerly as 'Ave mater Anna'.  As it seems
> to have been in blackletter, it undoubtedly post-dates the early
> 13th-century date of the original commission.  Canon Yves Delaporte, in his
> 1926 monograph on the stained glass of Chartres, says of this inscription,
> without citing a source, that it is Franciscan.  Can anyone confirm this, or
> even better, does anyone know the exact source of this short phrase?  More
> generally, I would also be grateful for references to any works on the early
> Franciscan history of France.
> Many thanks in advance for any replies, and happy New Year to all.
> Jim Bugslag

Dear Jim,

Alas, I can not say anything about the inscription in Chartres, but
I give you a list of few books that might be of interest to you.

A. Vauchez (ed.), Mouvements franciscaines et societe francaise
(XIIe-XXe siecle, Paris 1982.

Les mendiants en Pays d'Oc au XIIIe siecle. Cahiers de Fanjeaux 8,
Toulouse 1973.

H. Martin, Les Ordres mendiants en Bretagne (v. 1230 - v. 1530),
Paris 1975.

R.W. Emery, The Friars in Medieval France. A Catalogue of French
Mendicant Convents, 1200-1550. New York & London 1961.

In addition to these there are several interesting articles that were
published in AESC during the early seventies by Jacques Le Goff and
few others in connection with the project "Apostolat mendiant et fait
urbain dans la France medievale" or something like that. These
should include enough further references for a serious study.

Yours ever,

Jussi Hanska>