Dear colleagues

I am investigating the economic optimisation of public transport planning,
subject to prescribed "customer" service levels.  These service levels
include the usual internal issues as well as external issues like pollution,
subsidies, congestion control and so on.  My present question relates to
vehicle replacement.  My perception of the matter is as follows:

Public transport vehicles, (buses, trains, aeroplanes, etc,) are subject to
wear and tear like any other form of machinery.  Over time, vehicles will
require increasingly more maintenance, which will cost increasingly more
money and reduce their productive time.  These are standard components of
economic vehicle replacement cycle analysis.

In public transport, in addition to the maintenance cost and productive time
factors, there is also a question of perceived utility, measured in terms of
the vehicles age, condition, appearance and other attributes, such as noise,
ride comfort,  safety, and so on.  The implication of this is that a major
refurbishment of  vehicles may not offer the same benefit as say,
refurbishing a refuse disposal truck.

Can anyone give me references for work done in evaluating the influence of
user, and potential user, perceptions of public transport vehicles on the
determination of replacement cycles?

Thanks

Wayne Duff-Riddell
Institute for Transport Technology