I would think that the solution to the problem lies not in the shell
but in the configuration of the unix kernel.

For example, see Darren Gitelman's post on reconfiguring an HP-UX kernel

    http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/spm/1997-09/0014.html

Also try searching the SPM mail archive for "SGI kernel".

My understanding is that the values that limit returns after
you have run unlimit are fixed in the kernel; to raise those limits
you have to reconfigure your kernel, raising some (system-specific)
parameters.

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the specifics that could help you do
this with your SGI.  There was a call for such SGI specifics by
Stefan Sunaert a year ago
(http://www.mailbase.ac.uk/lists/spm/1997-10/0001.html).
Stefan: did you have any success?

-Tom