Hi. We have an fmri dataset in which data were collected for three
conditions (B=baseline,X=condition X, Y=condition Y) in the same scan,
during both memory encoding and memory retrieval.  let's call the
encoding conditions eB, eX, and eY, and the recognition conditions rB, rX,
and rY.  What we'd like to do is a conjuction analysis in which we look
for regions that were active for a certain condition (X or Y) across
encoding and recognition, and another where we look for regions that are
active for either encoding or recognition across both conditions (X and
Y).  this is in the context of a random effects analysis, for which I've
created adjusted mean images of each of the 6 conditions for each subject.

Thus the conjunctions that we'd like to do are:
common encoding: (eX - eB) && (eY - eB)
common recognition: (rX - rB) && (rY - rB)

common X: (eX - eB) && (rX - rB)
common Y: (eY - eB) && (rY - rB)

The question that I have (ignoring for the moment the other recently
discussed issues about conjuctions and random effects) is: How
inappropriate is the first set of conjuctions, since the baseline is
common across the two contrasts and the contrasts are thus not
independent?

thanks,
russ
Russ Poldrack		Phone: (650) 725-0797  (NOTE NEW AREA CODE!)
Dept. of Psychology	Fax:   (650) 725-5699
Stanford University
Jordan Hall		Email: [log in to unmask]
Stanford, CA 94305	Web Page: http://www-psych.stanford.edu/~poldrack/