I'm new to this list so apologies for any stupidities or bad manners.

I'd just like to reinforce what Cristiano wrote, particularly to his belief
that
computational modelling will revolutionise social and economic theory
and that the current dichotomy between traditional AI and emergent AI is
a false one.

My own work on modelling emotions led me to investigate what I think
is an example of 'forms of cooperation which are not based on knowledge,
mutual beliefs, reasoning and constructed social structure and agreements',
namely the role of a universal representation of value in multi-agent
systems
(i.e., 'money') and its relation to current AI reinforcement learning
algorithms. As
economists know, the invisible hand of the market is a super-individual
mechanism for coordinating the formation of social plans.

I joined this list to discover what research is currently being undertaken
in
computational modelling of social systems and look forward to others'
contributions.

-Ian.

Ian Wright, PhD
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe