On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:54:28 +0100 Ken Friedman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good to see the list up and working. For those who are not
> accustomed to mailbase software, there are issues worth noting.
>
> First among these is that if you use the reply function, you do
> not answer the person who sent a query or a note. You address
> the entire list.

That is a setting that we can make at the server.  At the moment
I have set it to reply to list on the assumption that most folks
will want to do just that.

> The second issue deals with what many see as a major flaw in the
> mailbase software. This is the fact that it is impossible to set
> mailbase lists to daily digest. (At least this has been the cae
> on my other mailbase lists, and when I contacted the software
> developers, they acknowledged it couldn't be done.) Daily digest
> -- the ability to set the computer to send all messages in one
> large bundle once a day -- makes life far easier for
> those participating in a listserv list who must organize their
> time. It may be possible for some email programs to sweep all
> mail from one list into a file. I think some software permits
> this but not all.

Yes, this is still the case unfortunately!  I understand that
mailbase are working on it, but they have been saying this for
some time, with no announcements yet...  The 'digest' function
is very useful.  I use it a lot on other lists that I monitor.

Ken's other points about using some care in mailing are spot on,
and all part of 'netiquette'.

David
:                       Dr. David Durling,                      :
:                      Director of Research                     :
:        School of Art & Design, Staffordshire University       :
:                  Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 2DE, UK                  :
:    vox:+44 (0)1782 294556 (direct)  fax:+44 (0)1782 294873    :