I am new to this group so a few words to introduce myself.  I am a retired
civil engineer and a member of a number of caving and mining societies.   I
live close to the freestone underground quarries at Box in Wiltshire UK and
have some knowledge of them.
I have just returned from a rainy holiday in Alsace and was lucky enough to
be invited to spend a working day in Schauinsland mine over the border in
The Black Forest.  In a niche at the top of one of the shafts was an efigy
of Saint Barbara who, I was told, is the patron saint of miners in that
area.
Does anyone know the history of Saint Barbara and if she has that role in
other countries?   Mike Breakspear