In message <[log in to unmask]>,
"Paul Nix, [PanSoft]" <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hi All,
>       Anyone know the start date for Babbington Colliery,
> Cinderhill, Nottingham?
>
>       Was it in use by 1898?
>
>       If it was; anyone any information (or sources of)
> for this colliery?
>
>       I am looking for information on "William Hollis" who
> was a Miner; and trying to find out which pit he worked at.
>
>       He was living at "13 Hawthorn Terrace" in Nottingham
> in "April of 1898" only two/three mile away from Babbington.
>
>       Any info on other pits in the area that he may have
> worked at, would also be useful.
>
>       Any information or even images would be brilliant :)
>
>       Many thanks in advance....
>
> PS. Some photographs of Clifton Colliery have just been
>     added to my Nottingham Collection, anyone interested?
>
> All for now                                        Paul.

>      Check out the "Nottingham Local History Index" URL's below
>
>    Nottingham Local History, Man-Made Caves and Robin Hood sites.

>    FRAMES: http://www.innotts.co.uk/~pansoft/local/notframe.htm
>  NO-FRAMES: http://www.innotts.co.uk/~pansoft/local/pastind2.htm

It all depends on what one refers to as Babbington Colliery.

The Babbington Colliery which stood beside the A610 going into
Nottingham until about 10 years ago had certainly been there for over a
century. However it is not at Babbington. Babbington is situated the
other side of the M1. The recently deceased colliery is situated at
Cinder Hill and it is very difficult to distinguish between the Cinder
Hill and the Babbington Pits, both of which were worked by Thomas North.

Quoting from "Mining in the East Midlands, 1550 to 1947" by A.R. Griffin

If Barber, Walker and Butterley are two capitalist enterprises which
succeeded, the firm of North, Wakefield and Morley may be cited as one
which failed after a promising start. In 1841, North was working nine
small pits at Babbington village, Greasley, Newthorpe and Awsworth. In
1841-3 North sank Nos. 1 and 2 shafts at Cinderhill down to the Top Hard
seam which was 8 feet 3 inches thick at this point. This was the first
large colliery on the concealed coalfield and upwards of 200 men worked
underground in the mine's early years. North also sank Newcastle
Colliery, (Whitemoor) in 1853; followed by Broxtowe and Bulwell
(completed in 1869 by Wright and Company following North's death)
besides additional shafts at Cinderhill, houses for many of his
workpeople, and a railway to the Wollaton canal, linking up with an
earlier network, traces of which can still be seen between Babbington
village and Broxtowe.

This is the book to read for information on Nottinghamshire mining.

The Inspectors of Mines Reports list fatal accidents at both Babbington
and Cinder Hill right from the start of records in 1850

Hope this helps.
--
Dave Williams  - [log in to unmask]

Visit the Mining History Network at
http://info.exeter.ac.uk/~RBurt/MinHistNet
for information on PDMHS Ltd., the active Mining History Society.