I'm writing a biography of John Calvert (1825-1897), Victorian gold
miner extraordinary and co-founder, with Hiram Berdan (inventor of the
Berdan Amalgamator) of the 1853-54 British gold rush. Calvert's
contribution took several forms, from his 1853 book "The Gold Rocks of
Great Britain...", a series of exhibitions of his collection of British
and Australian gold, lectures to the British Association, to a series of
letters to the Times, Mining Journal, etc., extolling the riches of
British deposits. He had just returned from some 10 years in Australia
and drew telling parallels between British and Australian deposits.

Details of his activities after the failure of his British gold rush are
fragmentary. He became involved in the Belstone Copper Mine which he
managed for a several years, and was an associate of Thomas Readwin who
worked several gold and copper mines in Wales. He is said to have
visited many gold producing areas and explored in Africa. He made a huge
collection of minerals, shells, ethnographia and antiquities and is said
to have had a large and fine library. In 1890 he returned to Australia
to chase a lost gold reef. He didn't find it.

I have an immense amount of information on Calvert and his son ALbert,
but although archives and publications from here to Australia have been
turned inside out for data, like Calvert's gold fields, unexploited
pockets must still exist. I'd be very interested to hear any thoughts on
the subject by members of this group.

I'm also particularly interested in any information or potential sources
of information on Hiram Berdan, about whom very little is known. He
appeared in London in late 1853, having patented his amalgamator in New
York in 1852. About the time the British gold rush bubble broke, in the
late Spring / early Summer of 1854, he returned to America and we lose
sight of him. Thomas Readwin had bought the rights to the Berdan
Amalgamator and set up a company to promote it. The company collapsed
following the failure of the gold rush and the suspicions cast upon the
Berdan machine and its operators, and Readwin was bankrupted.

cheers

Mick Cooper
--
Michael P. Cooper * Mineralist * [log in to unmask]