LA-IIS Consultative Document

       Our Professional Future
      A proposal for a new organisation for the library and
information professions

The consultative document on the future of the Institute of
Information Scientists(IIS) and The Library Association(LA) has now
been published. Copies have already been sent out to LA members and
we understand that copies are being sent out to IIS members at the
end of this week (27th November 1998).

We are arranging for a separate mailing to be sent out to UKOLUG
members who do not belong to the IIS. A copy of the document is also
available on the LA Web site at:

http://www.la-hq.org.uk/directory/prof_issues/opf.html

The closing date for responses to the IIS and LA is 15th March 1999.

As well as submitting your responses to the LA or the IIS
directly, the UKOLUG management committee will be pleased to receive
your thoughts on the issues involved and will take them into account
when submitting the response on behalf of UKOLUG.

The UKOLUG Management Committee will be sending out its own summary
of the document together with its thoughts on the implications for
the group. We will be actively canvassing members opinions and views
on the way forward for UKOLUG.

Any comments and feedback should be sent to:

Karen Blakeman
UKOLUG Chair
88 Star Road, Caversham, Berks RG4 5BE
Tel: 0118 947 2256, International tel: +44 118 947 2256
Fax: 0870 056 8547, International Fax: +44 870 056 8547
Email: [log in to unmask]