Library Videos

Under the auspices of the British Council's Leipzig office a colleague
and I have, over the last 4 years, been running intensive short courses
in "Using English in the Library Profession" for German librarians  -
mostly in the former GDR but with some participants from the West. Over
130 students have so far passed through out hands, and more courses are
planned for later this year and in 1999.

Among other teaching aids, English-language videos are appreciated by
students for their use of language and for the insight they can give
into contemporary British libraries. The ones we have been using
recently, however, are (a) showing their age or (b) derived from
commercial sources rather than from libraries themselves.  I am
therefore looking for up-to-date replacements.

I should be very grateful to hear from any library with a good video  -
especially of a general nature, e.g. "Introduction to the Library", but
also of a training nature, general or specific  -  which would be
willing for us to use the video in our courses.

All types of library can be considered: we have had courses specifically
for public librarians and for "research" libraries (academic etc.), but
several students are from special libraries, library schools etc. The
participants are, too, of all levels, from not-very-experienced library
assistants to library directors (the interaction of different types of
library and librarian is usually stimulating!).

In-house productions (including those made with professional help) are
probably more suitable than "commercial" training packages, though I
would not rule these out; the sense of "real librarians really speaking
the real language" can be quite powerful for our sometimes
still-isolated students. Clear speech is very important (subtitles are
useful too!), and simplicity of presentation is very desirable  -  as it
usually is in such videos anyway.

Our teaching programmes are not strongly profit-motivated, and it would
not be possible for us to spend much on videos; but I hope someone "out
there" will be able to help us, perhaps by allowing us to copy tapes.

I look forward very much to hearing from you - preferably by e-mail in
the first instance.

Regards

Peter Hoare

PS. An article by me about our courses, "Sprechen Sie Englisch?",
appeared in the German Studies Library Group Newsletter, no. 22 (July
1997), pp. 13-17.
Peter Hoare (HonFLA), 21 Oundle Drive, Wollaton Park, Nottingham NG8 1BN
Tel/fax: 0115 978 5297		E-mail:  [log in to unmask]