Frances,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by inane questions.  I, personally,
think that email groups are a useful forum for discussion on ANY
topic.  Not everyone has the same resources at their command or the
same experience and to be able to ask fellow professionals in a
non-judgmental atmosphere is invaluable.  Even more trivial
discussions can brighten up your day!  Those not interested in the
topic discussed can always delete the mail and those who find the
level of mail overwhelming can always unsubscribe.

I admit I usually reply individually to the person concerned   (I
made an exception in this case) unless it is a topic already sparking
general discussion.  This is to reduce unnecessary traffic on the
list.  But that does not, IMHO, invalidate placing the question on
the list in the first place.  The only thing that irritates me are
these constant "unsubscribe" emails but, in common I expect with most
people, I have just set a filter to automatically delete these.

Dawn
Dawn Patrick
Law Librarian
City University