Is anyone using NetMeeting (the free Microsoft program that comes with NT,
Win98 and Explorer 4)?

Just started experimenting with it here at the ONS, initially to see if we
could use it to keep an eye on libraries when they are unstaffed, as well
as our shop (and it will do this just fine).

However, we have also discovered that it would allow us to give remote
access to CD-Roms (and any other software) without the need to do boring
things like network them (and obtain associated licences). Essentially the
software allows someone to "share" whatever they are running on their PC
with anyone else on the same network. They can also allow other PCs to
"collaborate" or run the software themselves.

As only one person can run the software at a time it seems to avoid any
need to pay for extra site licenses etc.

Moreover, as any number of people can watch, the possibilties for training
are quite exciting as well. Why gather all your staff from different
libraries into one central location (with all the costs that involves) when
they can sit at their desk and watch (and even take part in ) a
demonstration. Given soundcards and microphones (or a shared telephone
line) spoken commentry can also be given but, failing that, there is also a
text chat facility.

Very little seems to be written about NetMeeting (well, as a serious tool
anyway - its recreational uses are - ahem - well known) - so, as I say,
does anyone else out there have any experience of it?

John Birch
ONS Library