Angela,

We use Avery Laser labels, size L7656 and then
cover them with Vista Tape. The labels come in A4
sheets and are designed for 35mm slides, but are
quite clear on book spines if you use 14 point type
and bold print. We used to use Dymo Posi Print tape
with a labelling gun, but the tape doesn't seem to be
available any longer.

Hope this helps,

Maggie Smith

Mrs.M.Y.Smith