>I would also suggest that actions Computing Departments might take are
>not much different (in my recollection) from actions a Library might
>take due to theft/damage etc. of material ... suspension of use or
>worse.

It would be interesting to see some rather more detailed case study.
LIbraries might well withdraw the use of library facilities for a period
of time; however, unless security guards are employed or the library
concerned has some form of automatic entry system at the gate, there is
really little chance of stopped an offender using the library for
reference. In any case, those with alternative academic libraries to hand
can simply visit them for reference. the withdrawal of computing
facilites can have more serious effects on a student's course.
Unofrtunately replacement IPs have to paid paid for - I was constant told
about student poverty - after buying the car, the mobile phone and the IP
account, it's no wonder!!!

p.s. we had constant damage of material - and were unable to catch the
culprits. The most sickening thing for me was to discover a mutilated
journal which I had referred a student to, but I couldn't remember which
one!

Roy Killey,
formerly Academic Liaison Librarian (Design and Communication Systems),
Anglia Polytechnic University, Chelmsford

28 Howe Lane,
Nafferton,
DRIFFIELD,
East Yorkshire,
YO25 4JU
Phone 01377 254718

Email 	[log in to unmask]

"Information is power, but people matter more than things"