Gareth Lodge wrote (in connection with the "inane" queries issue):

>    2) a separate list altogether. Something like lis-help! People would know
>    then exactly what to expect. In fact, for all I know, this may already
exist
>    else where
>
>    I think the second option is possibly best.

There's a philosophical flaw with this argument, just as there was when a
similar suggestion waa made regarding the "video request" messages.  It is
this.  Would anyone sign up to a list on the off chance that they might be
able to *give* help?.  I think not, just as no-one would sign up to a list
on the off chance that they could *supply* a video.  A list only used by
those who *want* help wouldn't work.  The whole point is that requests for
rather obscure or miscellaneous bits of assistance are best sent to a
general list, where there is a chance that, among the many thousands of
members, one or two might be able to provide the obscure help needed.

Fytton Rowland, Lecturer, and Programme Tutor for
	Information and Publishing Studies,
Department of Information and Library Studies,
Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leics LE11 3TU, UK.

Phone (direct line) +44 (0) 1509 223039     Fax +44 (0) 1509 223053
E-mail [log in to unmask]
http://info.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/staff/frowland.html