It is perfectly possible to observe, document and describe learning in
museums. We would not be 'measuring' it. 'Measuring' suggests
quantifiable targets and quantities of facts and information that can be
counted. We know that learning in museums is far more than this,
involving the emotions - affective aspects, and experience. We need to
find a way of evaluating museum education that takes on board the
constructivist learning theory that most of us subscribe to. To do this
we need to develop a new language of evaluation that indicates that we
are concerned with individual learning, which might be very different
foreach person involved.

Qualitative research gives us good models for the observation of
site-specific events, learner and teacher testimony, stakeholder
attitudes, and so on. My students have used drawings as ways of
assessing learning.

Yes it takes time. But no you don't need to do a huge amount, and yes,
students and others could be used if trained.  There are good models
around of how to do it, based on the three-year evaluation project with
a group of museum/gallery educators.

Let's not get deflected by adopting inappropriate methods. We need to
push this whole issue to work for us not against us.

Eilean