At 08:40 PM 12/7/98 EST, you wrote:

I wish I could get my students to use such creative metaphors! On the Van
Sant appearance,
early press had indicated he would appear at the same time Hitch did in the
film. Of course,
I don't know how many people know what Van Sant looks like, so the impact
would be
different.  Obviously, in his homage, VS should have gained 100 pounds and
shaved his head for
the scene.

I've seen the Van Sant "Psycho" and I must admit that I'm even more puzzled by
>it now than I was when I first heard of the idea. This is not a case of one
>artist appropriating another's work and making it his own; it's more like
>someone making a full-scale model of Notre Dame in his back yard out of
>toothpicks...It looks just like the real thing, but it's not a cathedral.
Melinda M. Schwenk
Ph.D. Candidate
Annenberg School for Communication