My earlier post on E. O. Wilson failed to provoke much except for an awakening of the old "sociobiology is facism" claim, which has been debated to the point of usually making me weak in the stomache.

So here's Peter Singer saying, as near as I can tell, the same thing. Is Singer a sociobiolgist? I don't think so. And, I'm surprised that an animal liberationist would make these claims. Evolutionary biology is probably the strongest arguement *against* animal liberation.

Anyway, I'm posting this in the hope that the list can get off of economics, which is also hurting my stomache.

Steven J. Bissell
http://www.du.edu/~sbissell
http://www.responsivemanagement.com
Our human ecology is that of a rare species of mammal
in a social, omnivorous niche. Our demography is one of
a slow-breeding, large, intelligent primate.
To shatter our population structure, to become abundant
in the way of rodents, not only destroys our ecological
relations with the rest of nature, it sets the stage
for our mass insanity.
                                                       Paul Shepard

http://www.philosophers.co.uk/noframes/articles/singernf.htm