The discussion about the Earth being sentient is starting to drive me nuts, but one of my students found this site which might divert the thread into something more interesting. I'm not sure why the authors of this site call it "scientific," but there you go.

Steven J. Bissell
http://www.du.edu/~sbissell
http://www.responsivemanagement.com
Our human ecology is that of a rare species of mammal
in a social, omnivorous niche. Our demography is one of
a slow-breeding, large, intelligent primate.
To shatter our population structure, to become abundant
in the way of rodents, not only destroys our ecological
relations with the rest of nature, it sets the stage
for our mass insanity.
                                                       Paul Shepard

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~harrison/index.htm