I am not sure if - Steve - you have come across any works written by the
mathematician George Cantor. As a mathematician Cantor was fascinated by the
concept of the infinite. The infinite can be viewed mathematically two ways:
as a quantity that is either infinitely small or infinitely  large, since
the number one is both infinitely small depending on the object or body it
signifies, or infinitely big; bigger numbers than one are infinitely smaller
than one. Why? It is very easy to prove! Go dis-prove this. The infinite is
only an attribute of a body or object. The physical proof is so simple that
any one of average training and intelligence could prove this. In symbolic
logic therefore a set, [with its proper domain  to include all things
existing now in the universe] which is termed infinite, to be infinite must
contain all subsets. What does this mean? Es mas facil! Is it one or many?
How can one thing with it's value set to unity contain multiplicity? Is
there a inherent contradiction here in logic?

Since as you say firms pollute by necessity, and firms are necessary to
commerce and civilization, it could be concluded that pollution is necessary
[evil or otherwise]. Carrying forward your arguement that no firm cannot
fail to pollute [even a cow farts methane], since  costs are infinitely
large for reducing pollution to zero, at which point therefore is the break
even point acheived on the return for expenditures to reduce pollution?