     I have dealt with CLSFF on a few occasions and can offer this advice

     1. The strength of the CLSFF can be specified to whatever your project
     requirements are. Strengths in the range of 50 to 150 psi are commonly
     specified for piping backfill, so that the material can still be
     excavated if need be. In a foundation backfill situation, you need to
     specify the strength necessary to prevent shear failure in the CLSFF.

     2.  The compressibility of CLSFF is substantially less than most soil
     materials as long as the applied stresses stay well below the failure
     stress of the CLSFF. A compacted sand would have an elastic modulus in
     the range of 50,000 psi. In comparison, if you assume a weight of
     100pcf and a strength of 100 psi for a CLSFF and plug those numbers
     into the ACI formula for concrete elastic modulus, you get 330,000
     psi.

     3. Since CLSFF is an engineered material that is proportioned and
     mixed in the same manner as regular structural concrete, you should
     expect the same degree of uniformity. If your design depends on a
     certain strength, I strongly suggest that you have the design mix
     tested prior to use at a testing laboratory and then have mortar cubes
     (as opposed to regular concrete cylinders) of the material taken in
     the field for lab curing and testing.

     4.I would expect the variability of the CLSFF properties to be low as
     long as you are providing the proper QA/QC testing.

     5. I don't think that you should be considering the material to be
     soil-like. It is a cementitious material and should be evaluated like
     structural concrete, just much weaker. Effective stresses would be
     inappropriate in my opinion.

     If you do a search on the web for controlled low strength flowable
     fill, you will find concrete companies are really pushing this
     material and some of them have good data for your reference. They like
     the material since its another chance for them to sell their products.
     Contractors like it since its easy for them to use, pour it in and let
     it set.

     I feel that CLSFF is a preferable alternative to other pipe bedding
     materials when you are concerned about seepage along a buried
     pipeline. It may even completely substitute for seepage cutoffs if the
     length of the piping is great enough.

     I hope this is of use to you.

     Martin Brungard, PE
     Woodward Clyde