Regarding your query re. accommodation for disabled students. There is no
reason why all new and/or refurbished student accommodation shouldn't meet
basic access standards. Finding accommodation for any disabled person is a
nightmare, including disabled students. Given the one or two rooms that
most universities why can't any new accommodation be accessible in order to
increase accessible stock. Any student can acquire an impairment and
disabled students may wish to visit their friends. Having accessibe student
accommodation is also a selling point for universities as, having organised
conferences with large numbers of disabled participants I know how
difficult, if not impossible, it is to find accessible venues. I have just
spent a weekend at a conference held at York University and the access was
appalling for me as a wheelchair user. We could have sold our accessible
rooms five or six times over. Trade unions go to big hotels such as the
Grand in Brighton (where the Tory party conference was bombed) because they
cannot find alternatives which will accommodate all their disabled members.

To summarise, new housing needs to meet specific access requirements so why
not new accommodation for students?