While that I agree with Bryan that the principle spur to the move towards
learning contracts comes from the Law Society, and the case with
the dyslexic student, I think that the discussion could boaden
out a little again on this topic.

The move towards adoption of learning contracts in this
university came quite independently of that case, in relation to
a serious complaints made by a student with a sensory inpairment
on a post grad course.

I am interested in how we build a framework for a contract
 which in essence makes sure that :-
the department is tied in to providing certain support.
the student doesnt come up with unanticipated resource-hungry
needs at the last minute.
the university doesnt have a blanket get-out for its
responsibilities to provide core facilities.

My dilemma is creating a framework which has hard edges in some
requirements and obligations, but soft walls which can adapt and change
according to the direcltly experienced needs.

I have had useful contact with Nottingham Trent, and will follow
up the contact at Sheffield Hallem, but welcome further
comments from others who are evolving similar procedures and
documents.
Debbie Gibberd
City University Disability Officer
Northampton Square, London EC1V0HB