> Date:          Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:25:16 +0000 (GMT)
> Subject:       Re: extended funding
> From:          [log in to unmask]
> To:            [log in to unmask]

We have managed this on two or three occasions although in each case
it took quite a while to negotiate.  The way it was done was to get
the University Registry to agree to register a student as full time
even though they weren't.  The student then did the number of modules
they felt they could manage (in agreement with the department) and
were given additional reading.  The LEAs seemed to be happy and gave
the students their grant and DSA.  If you wish to have more
information, such as which LEAs and more details about the
circumstances then please email me direct.

Alison Courtney

> Liz,
>
> I am attempting to have a student with Chronic Fatigue syndrome, who has been
> studying as a part-time student clasified as full-time, to enable her to access
> the funding and support she needs.  I am optimistic of success, but would also
> be interested to hear the outcome of similar situations.
>
> Clare Davies
> Nene College of Higher Education
>
> Dear Everyone and espcially SKILL,
>

> >We are currently arguing with E Sussex LEA to extend a student's funding so
> >that she completes her final year over two years. She has Chronic Fatigue
> >Syndrome and has provided medical evidence that she needs to spread the
> >workload over a longer period than normal.
>

> >Is anyone aware of other LEA's which have extended a mandatory award in this
> >way? The student needs to be considered full-time, even though the course is
> >completed over a longer period.
>

> >Regards
>
> >Liz T.

Alison Courtney