 I assessed a dyslexic client two years ago:  he graduated and got a job as a
surveyor with a large company.  He did not mention his dyslexia to anyone and
decided he would "manage".   Sadly he could not.  He found it virtually
impossible to produce a report and, rather than discussing it or asking for
assistance he ducked and dived until after a couple of months the employer
sacked him.   [I heard through his girlfriend, who contacted me in a panic].  He
may well have been eligible for special equipment [although support is iffy, as
the employer would have to fund it, because it is treated by the Employment
Service like training] through Access to Work on the grounds of his disability,
but would have to have disclosed his dyslexia.  Some employers are, of
course, more open than others but I think he would have stood a better chance
of keeping his job, once he had got it, if there had been some awareness of his
needs and he'd had a support system in place.   It's often possible to negotiate
with the employer as long as it's not too long "after the event" but much easier
when they haven't been rubbed up the wrong way!

Whether this chap would have got the job in the first place, or even been
interviewed if he had said he is dyslexic on his CV, no-one can say.  However,
if the employer is a "two ticks" symbol subscriber and the applicant states they
have a disability, they will be guaranteed an interview if they fulfil the minimum
criteria for the job.

I feel, therefore, that "disclosure" is - at the very least - advisable.  DDA and the
Disability Symbol require fairness on both sides.