I suggest you contact the Office for Students with Disabilities at the
Open University.  I know from my own experience of having taught on the
science founcdation course summer school that this sort of technology has
been around for some time.  It will be based on a microscope whose
eye-piece viewer is replaced by a video camera.  The student can then
manipulate the other microscope controls (focussing, stage controls
for moving the specimen around) and alter the magnification whilst
viewing the image on a screen.

Regards (from an ex-biologist),

Caroline Davies

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:08:38 +0000 "EDWARDS R.H."
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Forum,
>
> I am the new Special Needs Officer at the University of Wales Swansea. I
> have been approached by a student in the department of Biological
> Sciences who needs assistance with looking at samples under a
> microscope.
>
> Does anyone know of a system which is available to produce a TV-screen
> based output (rather like the principle of a CCTV reader) from a
> microscope? Technically, it would need to be able to magnify to x10,
> x100 and x400 and display on a fairly large monitor.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.
>
> Richard Edwards,