Hi Katie

I understood LEAs would not pay for such things but we have
had students successfully apply to the Access Fund to cover the costs
of both initial diagnostic assessment by an EP & update (which "our"
independent EP will do at lower cost than a full initial assessment).
The grounds for this were that it was a cost other students do not
have to bear!  I hope that helps,
Regards, Deb

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 15:43:03 +0100 Katie Lomas
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am at present trying to develope our procedures for helping dyslexic
> students, I have been wading through old assessments that students have
> brought in that were carried out by an Ed. Psychologist more than (some
> only just!) two years ago. I know that these are not sufficient for LEA's
> and that these students need a new assessment but was wondering wether
> there was any chance of getting the LEA to pay for the assessment as it's
> purpose in this situation is not to establish that the disability exists
> but to re-assess needs etc. Does anyone have any experience (or any hints
> or tips) of this? I would be grateful of any information that will help me
> to be a bit more prepared.
>
> Thank you,
>
> KATIE...
>
> Katie Lomas
> Student Services Adviser
> Aston University
> Aston Triangle
> Birmingham
> B4 7ET
> 0121 359 3611 extn. 5434

Deb Viney
Disability Co-ordinator
University of Southampton

Tel: 01 703 595644 (Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday)
01 703 597518 (Monday & Thursday)