I have just been on the phone to an LEA on behalf of a student. I was
told that if the student wanted a Needs Assessment she has to pay for
it herself up front.  When the report is sent to them they will then
consider funding the equipment and reimbursing the student although
this is not guaranteed.

Obviously this is highly irregular as a student qualifies for the
DSA on the basis of his/her disability not on the type of equipment
that is recommended. And, not surprsingly the student cannot afford
to do that.

I would welcome any tips on how best to handle the situation

Regards

Katy Mann
Disability Officer
University of Westminster