Small German job a Marburg, I suspect [usually Braille shorthand but I've seen
it used for "longhand"].   I agree with Ian's very positive comments about
Perkins, which still are used very widely [I include myself - much quicker than a
Braille 'n Speak or whatever] and you can correct errors with a ballpoint pen
cap!  Another option is a Mountbatten electronic brailler - good at multitasking:
standalone or added on to a pc as a braille keyboard, QWERTY keyboard
plugged into it so non-Braillist can produce Braille, Braille embosser from pc
requiring no translation software...  Let me know if more details required.