Dear Dorothy,

Dyslexia should not preclude a student wanting to do medicine.

There is keen competition for places so could it have been that this person
had not reached the academic and other criteria the schools that she applied
to set?

Our candidates are selected on the following basis:

Offers are only made on the basis of competitive interviews.  About 20 per
cent of applicants are shortlisted for interview on the basis of :

academic ability
breadth of interests and achievements
evidence of concern for the welfare of others
ability to communicate well;
motivation
commitment to medicine.

Those candidates who have a successful interview and who will be sitting
their A and AS levels for the first time in June 1999 will normally be
offered a place conditional on achieving:

Grades ABB at A level
or
Grades AB at A level, and grades BB at AS level
or
Grades BB at A level, and grades AA at AS level.

Candidates offering AS level Chemistry will be required to achieve grade A.

Hope this helps and I hope that you keep well.  Regards, Loretto.