Just to clarify my original message:

I understand that UCAS has said that from the 2001 applications cycle
onwards *all* the school/college references are to be 'open references'
therefore there will be no option for schools to state anything in
confidence to support the application.

I think UCAS may have interpreted the Act too narrowly which is why I
am asking mailbase members whether they feel the same concerns about this.
 From previous messages on the mailbase there is no evidence that anyone
except UCAS holds this opinion. If anyone else *is* interpreting the Act
this narrowly (e.g. advising colleagues that references should be 'open')
please let me know and I will post (anonymised!) answers to the list.

Thanks