Jean Vezina writes:
 > Richard Maine wrote:
 >
 > > In principle, the CASE construct is specifically designed to be
 > > efficiently implementable (which is the reason for a few of its
 > > awkward limitations - such as not allowing character type selectors).
 > >

 > There is an error here. In Fortran 90/95, SELECT CASE indeed
 > ALLOWS selectors of type character.

Yes.  I mispoke.  I was confusing this with some other issues that
make me find that CASE constructs almost never tend to be what I
end up using for character selection in my applications.

My general statement applies, but this was a poor example.  A better
example would be the requirement that the case ranges be
initialization expressions.

--
Richard Maine