[i don't know if the following actually appeared on the list, if it
did apologies for duplicating.  i have been unusually incompetent with
my emails of late.  i will also forward the reply from hugo radice]

hello hugo,

a belated reply:

Hugo Radice wrote:

> Marx's analysis of the joint-stock company outlines one way in which

> this contradiction develops under capitalism, i.e. that the
'strictly
> private' form of share ownership conceals a collective reality of
> corporate ownership.  The more recent development of institutional
> shareholding by pension funds etc. takes this a step further,
> especially since so many us have, willy-nilly, become 'capitalists'
> at several removes because part of our pension contributions are
> invested in shares.  But as Hilferding argued in "Finance Capital",
> what the JSC is really about is big capitalists swallowing up small
> ones, who become passive 'savers', and who are ripped off by the
> active founders and by big shareholders who have the insider
> knowledge required to grab a disproportionate share of the total
> realised surplus.

i agree, the increasing use of - and expansion of other version of -
savings does not make us all capitalists.  but i wasn't actually
thinking
of this when i queried whether or not ownership constitutes the
specificity of capitalism.  maybe i wasn't putting this clealry
enough.

> In addition, the joint-stock company, despite its
> really collective character, has the apparent form of a legal
> individual, able to own property, sign contracts, etc., just like a
> 'real individual'.

yes, indeed, just like a real individual.  but the legal character of
ownership does not determine the actual content of that ownership -
this
may be filled by individuals, families, boards, job hire agencies, and
-
perhaps this is the point of contention - the state or its agencies.

> So long as the dynamic of accumulation is worked
> out through the process of competition, however, Marx's central
> contradiction remains unchanged.

first: there is nothing to suggest that state ownership does not take
place within and through processes of competition - as the not-so-new
enterpreneurialism of various states testifies - nor that the
existence
of monopolies entails the absence of capitalism and the working
through
of its central contradictions.

perhaps we read those central contradictions differently:  i do not
think
the contradiction between privatised and socialsied ownership is the
decisive feature of capitalism; rather, i think that maybe the central

contradiction is that between 'necessary' and surplus value -  this
continues despite the substantive content of ownership.
this is not to suggest that there may not be profound implications
that
flow from the difference between such 'contents' - which is why i
raised
the passages in capital v3 as relevant to the issues at hand: marx's
comment on the abolition of capitalsim within capitalism....

regards,

angela