Several people have told me that they did not receive the file
attachment sent with the message below.  I am therefore trying again.
 This time I have saved the file as a Word 6.0 file <marx98il.doc>.
Hugo Radice

I seem to have mislaid the original mailing about this subject, but
in case it's relevant you may be interested to know that we have run
a course here at Leeds since 1994.  In modern modulespeak it is a
one-semester 10-credit level 2 course (where the year as a whole is
120 credits), and it's basically a Capital vol.1 reading course.

The course outline etc. is attached as a Word file <marx98im.doc>.

We are still trying to find the best way of organising the course so
as to maintain the students' interest and participation.  The present
format has 2 teams preparing presentations (which we have
dubbed '5-a-side Marx') and it works pretty well.  Both teams write
up an A4 page of notes in advance, which are circulated in the class.
 The 2 teams take turns to present sections, each of which amounts on
average to 5-6 pages in length (well, roughly a fifth of the weekly
helping);  I act as scribe, writing up notes on the whiteboard
from the presentation; the team not presenting then adds comments and
criticisms, and then there is general discussion.  The system works
well in that the students feel they can cope with a brief
presentation.  However, attendance still falls off as the semester
goes on.  Of the present 36 students taking the course, there's a
core of 20-25 regulars, and the rest are more intermittent.

Comments welcome!

Hugo Radice
Hugo Radice
Division of Industrial and Labour Studies,
Leeds University Business School,
University of Leeds,
Leeds LS2 9JT, UK.
tel: 44-113-233-4507; fax 44-113-233-2640
email: [log in to unmask]