Our e-mail address is [log in to unmask]

This message is from:  Betty Hagglund

Myra,

I have a half-memory from some work I did several years ago on early 18th
century funeral customs that hair played some kind of a role -- possibly in
the creation of memorial objects given to mourners.

My recollection of this is now really quite vague -- but I do recall that
Clare Gittings' Death, Burial and the Individual in Early Modern England
(London:  Croom Helm, 1984) was a useful source.

Alternatively, the base for the Cooperative Society Funerary History
Society is in Birmingham -- if you'd like, I can get the address for you.

Betty Hagglund
Department of English
University of Birmingham