                TRADITION AND RESISTANCE IN CONTEMPORARY POETRY

                           FRIDAY, 20 NOVEMBER 1998

One-day conference at the Centre for English Studies, Senate House,
University of London, Russell Square.

Telephone enquiries to: 0171-862-8675 / 8676 to book places.

Organisers: Robert Hampson, Royal Holloway, University of London
                  Alison Mark, Brunel University

9.30: REGISTRATION

10.00: Opening Session:
          DR TIM WOODS  (University of Wales, Aberystwyth)
             'Memory and ethics in contemporary poetry'

          LUCY SHEERMAN (Jesus College, Cambridge)
             Lyn Hejinian

          DR HARRIET TARLO (Bretton Hall)
             '"A she even smaller than a me":  gender dramas of the
contemporary avant-garde'

11.45: COFFEE

12.15  First Plenary Session:
            DR STEVE EVANS (Brown University)
               'Death and Redifinition in the Avant-Garde'

1.00: LUNCH

2.15:  Second Plenary Session:
             DR BARRETT WATTEN (Wayne State University)
                'The Secret History of the Equal Sign: L=A-=N=G=U=A=G=E
between Discourse and Text'

3.30: COFFEE

4.00: PERFORMANCE:

            CRIS CHEEK and CARLA HARRYMAN

Sponsored by the English Departments of Brunel University and Royal
Holloway, University of London.

Please download, copy, post, forward .... and please come.