On Sat, 24 Oct 1998 13:53:34 +0100, Alan wrote:

> [log in to unmask] writes
>>Was playing Pound reading Usura to a class of the French yesterday, and
>>listening to him roll his "rr"s [snip] So I imitated "Braag sweet tenorrr bull" for
>>them.
>>
>Earlier recordings of Pound sound very Yeatsian to me - painfully so -
>or was it more a case of a widely accepted & expected 'recitation' style
>fashionable earlier this century & now thankfully not so?

Bunting opined (tho where I can't quite recall now) that his own
reading style was a direct rejection of the "incantatory" style which
Pound used, which was, as Alan sez, taken directly from Yeats. B. felt
that his own style related much more directly to "normal" speech.
Hmm... depends what you call normal, I guess. If you listen to the
early UK recordings of Briggflatts you certainly find the pace is
fairly sprightly and close to the natural speech of West Newcastle,
and the accent - though evident - is not unnatural. Later in life he
read more slowly, which gives the effect of attempting to squeeze
extra sonority out of it, and as I've said, I think, he rrrolled those
borrrder RRRs loads more for the benefit of US audiences: together
these factors seem to me to have brrrought him much closer to the
style he prrrofessed to have rejected.

I feel it's in the variations of pitch and timing in reading (which
are consistent throughout the recordings I've heard) that BB most
clearly breaks away from Pound n Yeats - and that I'd say is the
achievement in reading technique which he passed on - one way or
another - as a possibility for further development by younger poets
such as Maggie O'Sullivan and Bill Griffiths (for instance).

RC