This warning has circulated for weeks now & seems to be of the same nature as
a number of similar warnings over the past year or two. Email simply cannot
give you a virus -- a virus can only be embedded in a program and can affect
your computer if you run that program and thus activate the virus. Email is
simply a data-file and as such not an executable program. This is at least
what them that know more than I about such matters have not tired to explain
to me when I have forwarded similar warnings. -- Pierre

Peter Riley wrote:

> >From: "Packard Bell" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: VERY URGENT MESSAGE
> >Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:59:08 -0000
> >
> >Peter....I know the guy who sent this..he knows his stuff..please take it
> >seriously
> >

> >Charlie Ulyatt
> >
> >----------
> >> From: Ian Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >> Subject: BE VERY AFRAID!
> >> Date: 30 January 1998 16:45
> >>
> >If you receive an e-mail titled "JOIN THE CREW" DO NOT open it. It will
> >erase everything on your hard drive. Forward this letter out to as many
> >people as you can. This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people
> >know about it. This information was announced yesterday morning from IBM;
> >please share it with everyone that might access the internet.
> >Once again, pass this along to EVERYONE in your address book so that this
> >may be stopped. Also, do not open or even look at any mail that says
> >"RETURNED OR UNABLE TO DELIVERY" This virus will attach itself to your
> >computer components and render them useless. Immediately delete any mail
> >items that say this. AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus and
> >that there is NO remedy for it at this time. Please practice cautionary
> >measures and forward this to all users.
> >

> >Regards
> >
> >Ian & Laura

pierre joris   6 madison place   albany ny 12202
tel/fax (518) 426 0433 email:[log in to unmask]
http://www.albany.edu/~joris/
"What often prevents us from giving ourselves over to
a single vice is that we have several of them."
   — La Rochefoucauld