-----Original Message-----
From: R I Caddel <[log in to unmask]>
To: british n irish poets <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 16 November 1998 15:30
Subject: nettiquette etc

|I certainly hope Lawrence doesn't leave the list. I'd also urge extreme
|caution in distributing the article in any way (web e-mail or photocopy),
|and in what anybody says about its author publisher on this list. This is
|because Lawrence has mentioned the word which was in my mind right from
|the start, libel. If one thinks the article is libel, then legal advice
|should be sought as soon as possible... If it's serious, take it seriously.

All true, of course, all true. But relevant only assuming those libelled
have the inclination AND the means to take legal action.

As far as I know, it's an expensive and uncertain process.

There would seem to be a direct conflict between taking the legal approach
on the one hand and exposing the behaviour on the other.

The legal approach is for the monied / powerful individual and is inherently
the approach of the social elite.

The exposure approach is inherently a social approach, a way of involving
people, a way of making it difficult for people to say it is nothing to do
with them.

What we must ask ourselves is this: are we saying that there is nothing that
can be done?

Lawrence Upton's website: http://members.spree.com/sip/lizard/
"WORD SCORE UTTERANCE CHOREOGRAPHY in verbal and visual poetry"
edited by Bob Cobbing and Lawrence Upton
Writers Forum, London, 1998; 156 pp; ISBN 0 86162 750 4