-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Quartermain <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 16 November 1998 03:14
Subject: Netiquette

|I really don't see how calumny slander abuse and lies can go unanswered.
|Ignoring them doesn't simply make them go away. A failure to respond is
|tantamount to approval of such behaviour, and I cannot see -- no matter how
|pleasing it may be to the shit-kickers involved (for that is perhaps how
|they see themselves?) -- that any useful purpose is served by NOT replying
|to AD and TF, though Lawrence Upton obviously thinks it merely serves their
|ends ("This is not a good idea. There are 2 offenders and both would enjoy
|receiving personal letters").

Point taken, Peter. I was wrong in what I said. I think what worried me was
that - one or two - writing would be counter-effective. A lot of us writing
would not! I think it was the idea that those who "felt strongly" should act
thus - whereas I am as interested in the possibility that some don't feel
strongly and therefore don't see the seriousness.

Lawrence Upton's website: http://members.spree.com/sip/lizard/
"WORD SCORE UTTERANCE CHOREOGRAPHY in verbal and visual poetry"
edited by Bob Cobbing and Lawrence Upton
Writers Forum, London, 1998; 156 pp; ISBN 0 86162 750 4