Regarding Bill Griffith's mail, I wrote on 2 11 98 and have yet to receive a
reply. If I do not receive one and / or if Bill does not, I shall post my
whole letter here.For now, my letter included the following:

In order to make one of his major points, he [Duncan] passes on
misinformation: "sales [of Poetry Review in the 70s] allegedly fell from
1500 to 300". Okay, he does say "allegedly"; but that does not exonerate him
from responsibility. He fronts the quote with "The truth is..".

No such fall took place. It is, to the very best of my knowledge, a lie. I
write that as the then Deputy Chair of The Poetry Society. I have asked
around and find that none who would know have been asked. Never, as they
say, let the facts get in the way of your opinions.

Unquote

I quote this section because it reflects the particular point that Bill has
homed in on.

However, my objections go further and include the personal abuse to which
Bill and others have been subjected.

It will not be good enough, for me, for Andre Duncan to "disavow" the
article - he must explain and apologise

Nor should difficulty with getting the magazine be taken as evidence that it
is not being distributed. We should also be aware of the possibility that
the editor is aware that he has published an article and will only
distribute it selectively; but he will distribute it.

Lawrence Upton's website: http://members.spree.com/sip/lizard/
"WORD SCORE UTTERANCE CHOREOGRAPHY in verbal and visual poetry"
edited by Bob Cobbing and Lawrence Upton
Writers Forum, London, 1998; 156 pp; ISBN 0 86162 750 4