Quoted message ---------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:38:37 +0100 (BST)
From: R I Caddel <[log in to unmask]>
To: british n irish poets <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Salzburg Poetry (formerly University of Salzburg Press)

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Wolfgang Goertschacher wrote:

> Douglas, why do you say that our books are not available in bookshops? Our
> books ARE available in
> bookshops, but - I have to admit - some bookshops only stock Faber, OUP,
> Penguin, Bloodaxe, etc.

- Wolfgang, welcome to the wonderful world of British Poetry! It's true
that SP books are technically available through bookshops, as are Pig
Press and many others - but the occasions where this actually happens are
few and far between, as you know. Most often it's because the poet or the
publisher is on first-name terms with the buyer... we've actually had
calls from bookshops saying, uh, they've had this customer order for a PP
title, but as they don't have an account with us they propose to report
back that it's unavailable... so we politely suggest that they might like
to, uh, OPEN an account, and it's a big we-could-go-in-your-umbrella*
excitement as they realise that they could... I wouldn't brand all
booksellers in this category, by a long way - but these are busy people,
and someone's got to be the bottom of their pile. Small press poetry will
do nicely.

RC

*cf A.A.Milne, The House At Pooh Corner

-----------------end quote.

My experience of bookshops recently is that if you make sure
your titles are listed on Whittaker's CD rom
you will get orders as a result via the Telephone Ordering System
Bookshops phone orders to somewhere in (I think) Aldershot
and the order is mailed first-class to you.
Those that use this service are usually quite good at paying up
within a reasonable period.

This, of course, is very different from actually getting books into bookshops
to be displayed for sale.

Gerald England's Home page - http://www.nhi.clara.net/gehome.htm
Christine's Lace Page - http://members.tripod.com/~lacemaker/index.htm
Aabye's Baby - http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Cafe/9091