I thought people were meant to remain very polite to each other on e-mail
discussion groups. Thanks, Ric for telling me my "once fine mind" has
decayed beyond recognition.  And what the hell has a "Cambridge education"
got to do with what I said? I have never upheld any form of education or
any Cambridge connection as a means of support for my own views on any
topic on earth. There's a strange and fierce resentment at the word
"Cambridge" among the poetic left which has never been made explicit. It's
nothing to do with me. It's to do with someone else.

All I said was that the tone of recommendation being used implied a
community of interest which is belied by the incoming correspondence. Why
should that be taken to imply that you can't speak to each other? On the
contrary, it means you have to recognise that there is a great deal of
difference and find ways to address it, which is likely to be much more
fruitful than in-the-know cryptic winks (and there have been quite a lot of
those recently).

Who pays any attention to arbiters, be they Andrews Motion or Duncan? Some
people restrict their readings programatically one way or another, under
the influence of pundits or not, more fools they. I don't see that it makes
any significant difference. There are certain specific zones of cultural
promotion which  remain a scandal, there's no doubt about that, but they
don't thereby create a mainstream.

There are two ways of MAKING IT for young poets in English-language poetry
these days: right and left (official poetry and academic poetry). Both
work. Surely that is by now obvious. What poet of integrity would want to
take sides in that meaningless confrontation?

Peter Riley