Oh I didn't mean 'polis is / eyes' is easy, or that I thought CO thought
it was; simply that those lines & that whole passage of Maximus have
been in my mind during recent discussions of community & political
poetry & they seem as relevant as ever. Wonderful multivalency of it for
one thing but also CO's insistence that politics starts right before
your eyes, is learning how to see it. In which case all poetry is in
some sense or degree political; which confuses the issue whenever the
category 'political poetry' comes up - leading to the assumption that it
must be about Big World Issues ... as of course it can be but
nevertheless the big/distant is present in the little/near - the
difficulty starts there, for sure.

AH