I agreed with David Bircumshaw about 'on the side', 'unexpected wink' but
only partially. The problem with villanelles is that post-Mahon they all
look like exercises in 'wit'. Self-conscious political writing in the
Western tradition is notoriously difficult mainly because of the predominant
horizons of expectation/reception. If we look at postcolonial theory then
Bhabha is crucial in reminding us that for some literature and culture are
means of survival. The Palestinian poet Darwish is a good example of this
mode/method. Re English poetry, I'm reminded of Dougolly's comment in his
poem 'Our family is full of problems' about risking prose, 'a walking
measure'. One might also recall Clough in the last century risking a longer
and longer line to get his point across.

Cheers
David