Comrade Karlien,

your reference to air-brush techniques reminds me of John Latham's
enthusiasm for them on the grounds that all those atomised paint streams
hitting the canvas almost simultaneously suggested moves towards a quantum
theory of the self.
Donna Summer was obviously hip to such inflections; that was indeed that
'love' that she felt "coming on".

New Labour are most assuredly a party of the airy burnish, although they
err towards the quantocks elf. You're quite accurate in describing the curl
on the lip, matching the gloss on the wave to a banishment of dandruff on
the doges collar. What you fail to mention, although I take it that the
implication lies strictly dormant, is any registration of the
rehybridisation of the political rose. A rose is patently not simply a
rose, but implies values of rosyness, thus bringing the rouge up and beyond
the mere surface of the cheeks of the new puff-mongers.

The hobgoblin of Globanalisation, as you so deftly term it, thus refocusses
attention onto similarities between monetary bonding, speaking from the
point of view of the end of the day, the instruments of communication and
defecation.

In short  -  the mouth and the arse (the anal rose of new labour is thus
exposed as hiding in the shirt-tails of family life, whilst keeping its
mouth firmly shut). What had been a clearly hierarchical passage of
metaphors, a trickle down poetics of the will, has become slurried to a
sufficient extent that it has become difficult to ascertain in which
direction, at any given time, the money is flowing as it were.

Only when the dog's Canary sings will we have any idea as to whether it's
over or not over until it's not over. For, like a dock leaf to the
mausoleum of a white nettle head deposited onto the unwashed bathroom
mirror in considerable haste, those, and I count myself among them, who
populate regulated underpasses,  hunting scraps from masticating tables,
will have our wounds soothed downwind of regress at the first signs of
oncoming noxious gas.

We too have noted the similarity between the Canary and the Needle. We too
bleed. And when we are pricked we cry out  -  New Labour!

love and love
cris