Thanks to Pierre for passing on news of Dick's 'passing'
and saying why it matters.

Odd, sat watching him on a live internet link-up from Art
Action in Quebec only the week before. He was giving an
interminably detailed, and it has to be said dull, account
of the inception of Fluxus (i was wearing my grey flannel
jacket that day  -  no, even that sounds too interesting)
and the image, flickering in the corner frame of the browser
(we were watching it projected onto a big screen) seemed
as if it was coming down the wire from the dead. Part
of the Fluxus industry still gathering value. The packaging
of all our yesterdays and so forth.

Dick was expected at a conference in Leicester this weekend along
with Alison Knowles. (If anybody went ehere can you tell us
about that please?)

The thing about him was / is his ability to be a key moover
and shaker by dint of making exceptionally seductive books
and being a pioneer translocal networker. It's too often the
strategists who go unrecognised. I'm writing this because I'm
surprised at how little mention there has been here of his wake.

I wonder how many people have a Something Else Press book on
to their shelves. How many are aware of what Fluxus proposed
(the extent to which it was achieved is another matter, although
I'd mention the excellent new 'Fluxus Reader' edited by Ken Friedman
from Academy Editions.

What I remember of Dick is his generosity of energetic engagement,
as practitioner and animator.

love and love
cris